Saturday 11 January 2014

Re-Entry

The heat shield withstands 2700 degree before it breaks
We ache and warp, but hold through suborbital flight

Ascension

It was always night up there
An endless endless night in the window
Stars on stars woven in an inky patina, lost in themselves
O the scale, the speed, the age-on-age
And I, never more human, at the window
And Earth. The world in a window reflected in a retina

Comprehension

We are plunged into day
Further from the sun, dragged down by earth’s mass
And yet closer. The sun is in our bones, we are bringing her home
Home. Smaller from above, I lost you in your context
What is a city in such endless endless..?

I am repelled and pulled back, caught in my own orbit
For I have looked into the eyes of time, beyond our beginning
And so how to return?

Suspension

The atmosphere is singing an aria
Come, she says, cut me lose, drift on and on and on

The memories bleed from me
There might be a world for me out there
I cannot return
We burn up at 2701 degrees

Re-entry

The air is dense. Ablation is done
Floating leaves on a still lake are overcome and pulled under
Lift and drag

Close your eyes and breathe in, you can see her again
And then, further from the earth than you have ever been
Re-enter the world to the sound of rain 
To the flight of birds
And turned earth

And find her again

No comments:

Post a Comment