Wednesday 4 January 2012

The Grave Alternative


Your centre of gravity sinks as you age
Gradually pulling you down
“You’ve had too much time on your feet”, the Earth says,
“It’s time you were back in the ground”.

But there’ll be no grave and no flame for me
As much as those options are sound
I never liked worms much in life you see
And I just can’t commit to the ground.

So I’m going to be shot into space when I die
And leave planet Earth behind
In a ship built for one, or two if you’ll come,
And see what new things I can find.

The moon will sigh as onward I fly
Pressing on into the void
And lightspeed will bend, for I am its friend
And wave as I pass it by.

Faster and faster I travel on
In my limitless boundary of black,
With comets to race and meteors to chase
And millions of stars to map.

Then light years from now, my body is found
By an alien ship and it’s crew.
In space dark and deep, I awake from my sleep
To discover a world that is new.

My friends go exploring in worlds green and white
And show me the stars, how they turn through the night
‘round planets with oceans and ice at the ends
That nod at my coming as if we were friends,

And I’ll wait there and grow, and learn all that they know
Until you are ready to come
And there newly raised, for a handful of days
I will bask in an alien sun.

A million times later, the end of the Earth
Explodes you towards me as ashes and dirt
Then with all you with me, to the wail of guitars,
We burst into flames, and turn into stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment