Monday 10 October 2011

To India

My country is overcast, forgotten,
Feet crossed in the swing of my first monsoon.
Air thick and hard to draw in
Bombay
             Bangalore
                            Himalaya
                                          India


The words intoxicate.
My eyes, drugged in your image, find you anywhere.
Has the air in our sky blown from yours?
Drawing in the spices of my borrowed town,
I wonder, have you been there in this lifetime?


Because it's harder to breathe now, travelling backwards.
And there are no oceans here.

2 comments:

  1. I like this too... your overcast country? Are you from the UK perhaps? ha

    I'm traveling in Thailand at the moment, so this struck a particular chord with me. Still traveling in India?

    PS. Found your blog via a post on the Google forums.

    mine:

    http://sociallyrepulsive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the UK indeed. I have actually never been to India, although I have been to the tropics many times, but I have an unusual obsession with India, for someone who has never been. This is heightened by the fact I live in a part of the UK with a primarily South Asian population so I am surrounded by the culture in my 'borrowed town'. I am going this year - and this poem is, for me, full of my anticipation.

    A little more back story than I usually give out but this poem is very fresh for me.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete